Heart of the Matter: Daily Reflections for Changing Hearts and Lives
About: Heart of the Matter.
Change that goes deeper than the surface of our lives happens as we daily remember the truths of the gospel. Every day we need to be reminded that Jesus, God’s own Son, came to this world to save us from sin, sorrow, and death. We need to remember every day how Jesus’ life, death, resurrection, ascension, and promised return change the way we view ourselves and others. This devotional will be a daily reminder of these life-changing truths. The 366 selections, anchored in Scripture and saturated with the gospel, will help the reader to:
- Learn how God in his Word addresses a host of life situations.
- Focus on how the gospel intersects with life.
- Look beyond circumstances to God’s purposes.
- See how God values relationship and to learn to value it too by persisting, by speaking truth in love, and by not shying away from conflict.
- Grow in wisdom when confronted by life’s changes.
- Learn that God works change that is effective and visible.
Topics covered in the devotional include: love, hope, grace, redemption, faith, contentment, conflict, relationships, prayer, fear, patience, humility, and anger.
“Reading Heart of the Matter is doing Psalm 121. You read the pages and your eyes are lifted away from self toward God, seated on his throne in all of his glory. Your day is reoriented. Independence melts away as you look to the one who made the heavens and the earth; to him who stands firm and faithful, dependable, and trustworthy. It will point you to the loving Father who keeps you, both now and forevermore.”
- Jack Delk, Pastor for Covenant Member Care, Bethlehem Baptist Church
“The daily reflections gathered in Heart of the Matter offer the reader the opportunity to anchor his or her life in the profound truths of the gospel. The result is a deepening experience of the far-reaching effects of God's redemptive work for all of life. These brief, practical insights will bring the gospel to bear on your emotions, thoughts, actions, and relationships in new and refreshing ways. In this devotional, CCEF provides readers with a clear path to rich, consistent gospel application.”
- Stephen T. Um, Senior Minister, Citylife Presbyterian Church, Boston, Massachusetts; Author of Why Cities Matter
“This devotional is a treasure. Using it, we can begin each day with a crucial word of inspiration based on a portion of the Scripture, articulated by a proven team of sure-footed guides. Free from theological or psychological jargon, its simplicity is deceptive, taking us from the challenges of daily life into the very heart of our covenant relationship with the Lord God.”
- Dr. William Edgar, DrTheol, Professor of Apologetics, Westminster Theological Seminary; author of Truth in All Its Glory
About the Author
The Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation (CCEF) has been at the forefront of the biblical counseling movement for more than forty years with the mission to restore Christ to counseling and counseling to the local church. CCEF teaches people how to explore the wisdom and depth of the Bible and apply God’s grace–centered message to the problems of daily living. CCEF does this through counseling, training, writing, and partnering with churches. For more information and a comprehensive list of publications, go to www.ccef.org.